Comprehensive legal guidance
that’s attentive to your needs.

Estate Planning And Administration Tailored To Your Unique Needs

Some people think they do not need estate planning documents, such as a will, because they do not have vast real estate holdings or assets. Some people avoid discussing wills and trusts because they are uncomfortable planning for end-of-life matters. Estate planning documents are crucial to provide for your family if you are unable to be there for them and to pass on your assets to those you designate. If you don’t have estate planning documents then the government already has a plan for you that you may not like.

If you do not have estate planning documents I can help you create your estate plan documents to meet your family’s unique needs. I have over two decades of experience in matters related to estate planning. I can help you establish an estate plan through legal documents, such as:

  • Wills — Organize your wishes for distributing your assets and name a personal representative to ensure your wishes are followed when you pass. If you have children who are minors, you may also nominate a guardian to care for your children.
  • Trusts — They can help you, as the grantor, to transfer ownership of your assets into a revocable or irrevocable trust for the beneficiaries of your property which can help avoid the time consuming, expensive, and public probate process that a will usually goes through.
  • Powers of attorney — Grant authority to your chosen agent to conduct your financial, business, and medical affairs if you become incapacitated during your lifetime. There are various forms, including limited powers, for the management of property and personal affairs for a specific transaction.
  • Advance health care directives — Name an agent who will ensure your wishes about end-of-life medical treatment are followed in the event you have a terminal condition, or your death is imminent.

If you already have estate plan documents but recently divorced, received an inheritance or sold your home, it is best to have your estate plan documents reviewed as soon as possible after these changes happen to ensure that your estate plan documents still carry out your wishes.

Do I Really Need A Lawyer When My Loved One Dies?

Losing a loved one is difficult. Grieving the loss can be made more difficult when family members are confused about what to do with your loved one’s property. Working with a lawyer who is well-versed in the nuances of the estate and probate process can ease the burden for your family.

I have over 25 years of experience in handling estate and probate administration in Virginia. Whether your loved one had a will or a trust, or no estate plan documents at all, I will work with you to resolve all matters as efficiently as possible. I can help you with:

  • The probate process
  • Trust administration
  • Will contests

If you are a trustee of your loved one’s trust, I can guide you to take the right steps in performing your fiduciary and accounting duties.

Can You Help Me Understand Guardianship?

If your loved one does not have any estate planning documents and becomes incapacitated, you may have to file for a guardianship to handle their affairs for them. The courts handle guardianships for people with disabilities, such as an adult who can no longer tend to their business matters or care for their selves.

The courts also require the establishment of guardianship for children under the age of 18 who receive assets. The assets to the minor may have come by way of:

  • A personal injury claim
  • An inheritance
  • Gifts from relatives
  • Disbursement from a trust

As a personal fiduciary, you will need to ensure the funds are provided to the minor for their health, education, and general welfare.

Call Me To Work With An Experienced Estate Planning And Administration Attorney

At my firm, I provide estate planning, estate administration, and probate representation for clients throughout Virginia, including the Greater Richmond area and Chesterfield County. Please contact me by email, or call my office at 804-404-5412 to set up a comprehensive initial consultation for $395.00.