that’s attentive to your needs.
Barry C. Hodge
- Criminal Law
- Gun Rights
- Civil Litigation
- False Claim Act (FCA) Defense
- Family Law
- Zoning, Land Use, and Property Rights
- Wills, Trusts, and Estate Administration
- First Amendment Law and Litigation
- Business and Commercial Law
- Serious Traffic Offenses
I began my legal career in 1992 after receiving my J.D. degree from Regent University School of Law in Virginia Beach, Virginia. After graduating I spent a year as a federal law clerk at the U.S. Court of Federal Claims in Washington, D.C.
In 1993, I started litigating First Amendment religious liberty and free speech cases all across America in federal and state courts with the National Legal Foundation. In 1996 I started fighting for private property rights on behalf of farmers, ranchers, and small landowners at Defenders of Property Rights where I litigated land use regulation cases involving the Fifth Amendment's Takings Clause and continued doing so as General Counsel for the National Property Rights Center.
In 1997, I opened my private practice in Richmond, Virginia. Since 1997 I have been practicing in the areas of criminal felony and misdemeanor defense, serious traffic violations, including DUI/DWI, civil litigation, business and commercial law, real property development, zoning and land use, condemnation, wills, trusts, and estate administration, family law, including divorce defense, custody, visitation, and child support. Over the years I have represented clients in all types of tribunals from contractors in administrative hearings to arguing for businesses in jury trials. I have also assisted clients in avoiding litigation by navigating multi-million dollar business buy outs to advising doctors regarding Medicare law compliance to assisting private associations in dealing with zoning laws.
In addition to my private practice, I still continue to be available to assist the National Legal Foundation with First Amendment cases and participate as an Allied Attorney for the Alliance Defending Freedom involving First Amendment law.
- Regent University School of Law, Virginia Beach, Virginia
- J.D. - 1992
- California State University, Sacramento, Sacramento, CA
- B.A. in Government - Journalism - 1989
- Virginia Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- National Legal Foundation, of Counsel, 1995-2006, 2008-Present
- ADF (Alliance Defending Freedom), Allied Attorney, 1999-Present
- Old River Cabinets, Inc., General Counsel, 2008 to 2010
- National Legal Foundation, Senior Litigation Counsel, 2006 to 2007
- Graham T. Jennings, Jr., PC, Associate, 2003 to 2005
- National Property Rights Center, General Counsel, 1998 to 1999
- Barry C. Hodge, Attorney & Counsellor At Law, 1997
- Defenders of Property Rights, Staff Attorney & General Counsel, 1996 to 1997
- National Legal Foundation, Staff Attorney, 1993 to 1995
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, Law Clerk, 1992 to 1993